The Hub of the Shotley Peninsula
You do not have to be a champion swimmer — most of our members just enjoy the gentle exercise. But some have taken part in the Great East Swim at Alton Water and some train for Triathalon competitions.
ALL adults are welcome.
- Members swim at Ipswich High School’s pool, Woolverstone.
- Non-competitive, open to all people able to swim aged 18 or over.
- Run by volunteers for members to enjoy exercise, relaxation and sociability.
- Swimming is every week apart from a short break over Christmas.
- 7 hourly sessions per week, Mondays 6.15-7.15pm, Wednesdays and Thursdays 6-7pm, 7-8pm and 8-9pm.
- Each session is limited to a maximum of 30 swimmers with a lifeguard in attendance at all times.
- Members swim during the same hour each week.
- Payment is due quarterly, half yearly or annually in advance, by direct debit
- A years’ swim of 50 weeks costs £220. (2019/20)
- It is run as a non-profit club.
- Free parking.
Tel: 07546 528 336
In 2004 the idea for the SPSC was formed over a cup of coffee by three local ladies. The Ipswich Girls’ High School at Woolverstone had a lovely 25 metre Ganzoni indoor pool installed in 2002 and had said if an official club was formed, they would consider allowing it to use their pool.
By April 2004 54 people had attended a public meeting, a Committee was formed and a constitution had been accepted by the School. Swimming starting in June 2004.
There are now approximately 180 members.
There is an AGM which is well attended by members and is a relaxed sociable evening held at one of the local village halls.